Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sunrise 3

The sun rose so brilliantly this morning that I abandoned my brush at several points; I needed to be still to take in it's full, dazzling effect. It was humbling. For about 20 minutes before the sun appeared, the sky was a firey, blazing orange. It's energy was reflected like flames scattered throughout the water. I was somewhat struggling to adequately set the scene, when the sun suddenly appeared between the harbor islands: an intense, glowing, blinding ball of fire. As it rose, the water exploded into a rainbow of colors.

This artistic process is new and difficult for me. My tendency to create laboriously and neurotically must be abandoned. The shifting energy doesn't placate my need for perfection; it doesn't pause so I can obsessively revisit each minute detail of my work. The building momentum and eventual overturn into lightness is quick, and I must surrender if I hope to capture even a fraction of its beauty.

Pretty darn appropriate that such a firey sunrise should announce the arrival of St. Patty's Day.


"Sunrise 3" - Acrylic, colored pencil, paper, Lucky Charms, on canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment